Creamy Pina Colada Ice Cream (Dairy-Free)
The tropics are calling with this no-churn Creamy Pina Colada Ice Cream! Experience the flavors of coconut, pineapple, and fresh lime with this homemade ice cream recipe that is extra creamy, and dairy-free.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 can unsweetened canned coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- 1 single serving coconut milk vanilla yogurt I use So Delicious 5.3 ounce
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- zest of 1 lime
- juice from 1/2 the lime
- 2 tablespoons honey sweeten to taste
- pinch salt
Refrigerate the can of unsweetened coconut milk the night before - Refrigerating the canned coconut milk will cause the coconut solids and liquids to separate in the can. We are using the coconut solids from the can. Note - If your can of coconut milk is mostly solid, use the whole can. If it half solid, half liquid, use 3/4 of the whole can (all solids, some liquid). It the solids are less than half, add another can to get more solids. If there are no solids, try another can.
Blend the ice cream - Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. This may take about 3 minutes.
Pour the ice cream mix into a freezer proof container, cover, and freeze - overnight is best. See notes for container suggestions.
When ready to serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften. Serve on an ice cream cone or in a bowl and enjoy!
- We are using canned coconut milk, and not carton coconut milk. The coconut solids from the can are what makes this ice cream creamy. If there are hardly any coconut solids in the can, try another can.
- I recommend a good (high-power) blender or food processor to mix the ice cream to a smooth and creamy consistency, without having to add extra liquid. It may take longer to mix in a small blender, and you may need to add additional coconut milk or water to mix the frozen pineapple.
- The ice cream freezes well and will need a few minutes on the counter to soften slightly.
- Make the ice cream vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup.
- Use more or less honey, based on how sweet you want the ice cream. Keep in mind, the yogurt has sugar in it too.
Ice Cream Container Suggestions
- If you don't have an ice cream container, you can use the following: loaf pan, small cake pan, small casserole dish, or heavy Tupperware. For everything but the Tupperware, I would recommend covering with plastic wrap and aluminum foil to keep the ice cream cold.