This small batch of Vanilla and Berry Cupcakes is perfect to celebrate Memorial Day or the 4th of July. This is an easy one-bowl recipe packed with vanilla and cherry flavor. Cherry sparkling water makes the cupcakes moist and adds extra flavor.
Easy Vanilla and Berry Cupcakes
Who doesn’t want to make all of their desserts in one bowl? After testing so many recipes and dirtying so many bowls, I actually get excited when I can create something in a single mixing bowl.
My trick to keeping the dry and liquid ingredients separate
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- In a liquid measuring cup, I measure my main liquid first. In this case, the sparkling water.
- Then add the remaining liquid ingredients to the liquid measuring cup. Chances are the remaining ingredients are going to be measured using tablespoons or teaspoons.
- Lastly, I add all of the liquid ingredients to the dry and fold everything together with a spatula.
Keep in mind this one-bowl process can almost always be used for cakes and cupcakes. But, when it comes to cookies or other recipes that require creaming butter and sugar together first, you are going to have to get a couple bowls dirty!
Moist Cupcakes with Sparkling Water
You may be asking why we are using sparkling water. Chances are you have seen the recipes where you add a can of soda to a box cake mix. These Vanilla and Berry Cupcakes are similar in concept, however, we are making our cupcakes from scratch and using unsweetened carbonation!
I used the same recipe in our Mini Vanilla and Berry Layer Cake. I am so pleased with the result and the delicate flavor of the berry in the cake. So, we are going to duplicate it but with cherry flavor in these cute little cupcakes.
Back to the sparkling water – it keeps the cakes tender and moist. And the carbonation also gives the cakes a great rise. And to add more flavor, we are using unsweetened cherry-flavored sparkling water.
If you have a go-to flavored bubbly water, by all means, use what you love! My go-to is Target’s Good and Gather Sparkling Water. I love the simple flavor, no additives, no sugar, and they are priced well too!
Festive Small Batch Dessert
This recipe for Vanilla and Berry Cupcakes makes 5 cupcakes. Which may be the right amount for your Memorial Day or 4th celebration. Considering all of the other goodies that may be on the table that day!
Another great thing about this small batch of cupcakes – you can make different batches with different sparkling water flavors. Think of how festive your table would look with some cherry, peach, or even watermelon!
More Cupcake Recipes
- Small Batch Strawberry Cupcakes
- Maple Pancake Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Whipped Ganache Frosting
- Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes
Vanilla and Berry Cupcakes
- 1 – Muffin/Cupcake Pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons sparkling water, cherry flavored (or any flavor will work)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened carton coconut milk (or any milk will work)
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Fresh Blueberries and Cherries (to top the cupcakes)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Line the cupcake/muffin pan with 5 cupcake liners.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix the sparkling water, egg, coconut milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients, along with melted butter to the dry ingredients. Whisk until no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake liners – about 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Then remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. Frost the cupcakes with the frosting of your choice – or the Vanilla Butter-Free Buttercream, Chocolate Butter-Free Buttercream, or Strawberry Buttercream.