Chocolate Chia Pudding and Pomegranate Parfaits are delicious for dessert or healthy enough for breakfast! A small batch of chocolate chia pudding is layered with coconut milk yogurt, fresh pomegranate seeds, and topped with whipped coconut cream.
Chocolate Chia Pudding Parfaits
I love chia pudding. The way the little chia seeds soak up all the milk to create a creamy pudding. And the fact that it is a healthier alternative to satisfy my love for all things custard.
Chia pudding seems to be all the rage – especially on healthier menus (or blogs). Likely because it is extremely versatile and can be combined with a myriad of flavors. Which is why I love to layer chia pudding with fruit and yogurt. And, the occasional whipped coconut cream.
Also – it is delicious. It may be safe to say that any flavor combo is going to result in a extremely satisfying treat that is great as a dessert or breakfast. Dessert for breakfast. Count me in. Especially when it has chocolate in it. Like these little Chocolate Chia Pudding and Pomegranate Parfaits.
Healthier Dessert and Breakfast for Two
If you are new to the chia pudding scene, the treat starts with tiny little chia seeds. Yes – the kind that is also used to make a Chia Pet. What makes the chia seed healthy? Healthline provides some detailed info:
- Vitamins and minerals
I will personally emphasize the protein and fiber – every time I eat chia pudding I get full. A great feeling after enjoying a sweet, healthy treat! Because the last thing I want when I eat dessert is to feel like I didn’t get enough.
To achieve the pudding consistency, the chia seeds are soaked in milk (likely a non-dairy milk to stay healthy and vegan) and refrigerated overnight. The seeds soak up the milk and expand to create the gelatin-like texture of pudding. The best part – there is still a bit of a bite in the pudding from the seeds.
I will say because chia pudding is on the healthier side, it does make a great breakfast treat or dessert. Going back to how full it makes me feel, imagine not wanting to snack on everything in sight throughout the day because you are still full from breakfast. Goodbye potato chips for my mid-morning snack!
What You Need To Make Chocolate Chia Pudding Parfaits
- Chia seeds – I honestly don’t have a preference or expectation for the brand of chia seeds. I buy the store-brand from my grocery.
- Non-dairy milk – Only if you want to keep this treat vegan. I personally like unsweetened coconut milk. Otherwise, any type of dairy milk will work too.
- Cocoa powder – I use what is in my pantry for my baking. Which is Hershey’s Special Dark.
- Pure maple syrup – Again, to keep it vegan. Though any sweetener of choice works.
- Vanilla extract – For the delicious flavor combo of chocolate and vanilla.
- Parfait add-in’s – Create the parfait layers with any yogurt, fruit, or granola options you like!
Since we are not baking anything, not much is needed here. I recommend:
- Small mixing bowl
- Serving glasses or bowls – This is a small batch recipe, so you will only need 2 serving glasses or bowls. The glasses in the photos hold about 10 ounces.
Tips For Making Chia Pudding Parfaits
- Refrigerate the chia pudding overnight – You want to give the chia seeds ample time to soak up the milk to achieve the pudding like consistency.
- Use different textures in your parfait layers – The different ingredient textures are a nice complement to the creamy pudding. Not to mention – it is filling!
- Flavor your yogurt – If you are using a yogurt layer, add a couple teaspoons of juice from the fruit you are using to it. For this recipe, I added 2 teaspoons of pomegranate juice to the coconut yogurt.
- Non-vegan options – This recipe is vegan. Though any milk, sweetener or parfait layer options work.
- Make more – This recipe is easily doubled.
More Small Batch Healthier Desserts
- Winter Citrus and Cream Oatmeal Tarts
- Healthier Chocolate Power Bites
- Honey Orange Snack Cake
- Strawberry Oatmeal Streusel Muffins
- Smooth Red Berry Chia Pudding
Chocolate Chia Pudding and Pomegranate Parfaits
- 2 – Serving Glasses
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds - or 5 tablespoons for a thinner pudding
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsweetened carton coconut milk - or any milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup - or any sweetener of choice; more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the chia seeds and cocoa powder. Then add the coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined and no dry streaks of cocoa powder remain. Cover tightly and refrigerate – at least overnight.
Assembling the Parfaits
- Spoon equal amounts of the chia pudding into your serving glasses (or bowls). Top with your optional parfait layers. Enjoy!
- The parfait glasses used in the photos are about 10 ounces.
- Use any parfait layer options you like. Used in the photos are: coconut milk yogurt, pomegranate seeds, Whipped Coconut Cream, and granola.
- I recommend fresh (from the fruit), or fresh pomegranate seeds found in the produce section. I find frozen pomegranate seeds lose some of their juice and flavor.
- For extra pomegranate flavor, I added 2 teaspoons of pomegranate juice to the yogurt layer.