A small batch of soft Oatmeal Nutella Cream Sandwich Cookies is a decadent treat! The cookies are lightly sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup to keep them soft. And the Nutella is mixed with marshmallow cream for a smooth and creamy filling.
Oatmeal Cream Sandwich Cookies
You remember those cookies – the Oatmeal Cream Pies from Little Debbie. Well, these Oatmeal Nutella Cream Sandwich Cookies are not those. In my humble little opinion, they’re better. I know this statement may just be blasphemy, but there is just something better about homemade.
This oatmeal cookie is soft and chewy and perfectly sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup. But I can’t go as far as to call these cookies refined sugar-free. Thanks to the filling. But I’m not complaining.
Nutella Cream Filling
Where we get unique is with the Nutella in the cream filling. We will still use a marshmallow cream as the base to give the filling light and airy texture. And then we add in Nutella. Sound decadent? Well, it is.
And because the cookie is not cloyingly sweet, the whole combination of cookie and cream is ideal. Plus, because this is a small batch, go ahead and eat more than one. Trust me, you will want to.
I will warn you that the creamy filling does not set up as firm as the original cream filling. But that is ok. There is nothing wrong with licking your fingers clean. With that, you can refrigerate the Nutella cream before assembling the cookie sandwiches.
Refined Sugar-Free Oatmeal Cookie
These oatmeal cookies by themselves are delightful. Even without granulated sugar, they are rich and full of flavor. The maple syrup adds a buttery caramel flavor and there is just a hint of cinnamon added to have your taste testers asking ‘what is that spicy flavor’? I like to keep my taste testers guessing. 🙂
With the cinnamon, the cookie has a nice warm flavor that can make these cookies great for the holidays too!
Because these are sandwich cookies, we want the cookie itself to be soft. Like soft bread in a sandwich. And trust me, after one bite of these cookies, you will want to be able to eat them without having too much interference!
More Cookie Recipes
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- Small Batch Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Now, go relive your childhood and make these Oatmeal Nutella Cream Sandwich Cookies!
Oatmeal Nutella Cream Sandwich Cookies
NUTELLA CREAM FILLING
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened canned coconut milk (from a can of refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 350o degrees and adjust oven rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, or parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a handheld mixer on medium speed to cream together the butter, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract until fluffy. Add the egg and beat for another minute, util the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together with a spatula until incorporated. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until no flour streaks remain.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, drop golf-ball size scoops onto the prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Evenly distributing the dough until you have 10 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, or until the tops are dry. Careful not to over bake as you want the cookies to be chewy and they will continue to cook as they cool on the baking sheet. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Make the Nutella Cream while the cookies are cooling.
NUTELLA CREAM FILLING
- For the coconut cream: refrigerate the can of unsweetened coconut milk at least overnight. When ready to use, the coconut solids will have risen to the top – this is what you will be using to make the filling. The extra coconut cream can be used in smoothies or Whipped Coconut Cream!
- In a small mixing bowl add the marshmallow cream, Nutella and coconut cream. Mix with a handheld mixer on medium speed until smooth – about 2-3 minutes. You can place the filling in the fridge to firm up until ready to assemble the cookies.
- When the cookies have cooled completely, flip over 5 of the cookies on their tops, and evenly distribute the Nutella Cream filling on top of the 5 cookies. Place the remaining 5 cookies on top of the cream and gently press together to make the sandwich cookie. Enjoy!